study abroad at Shih Chien University in taipei
Play Video


Study Business, Management & Chinese,  in Taipei for 1 or 2 Semesters

Study business, management, Mandarin Chinese or human ecology at an esteemed university in the heart of the magnificent Taipei! Live for a semester or two in one of the safest and most open-minded countries in the world and learn more about Taiwan’s unique mix of ancient traditions and modern progress. Apply now and get accepted even in one day!



Spring (Feb – June),
Autumn (Sep – Jan)

Max. Credits

38 ECTS /
23 US credits

Program Content

Lectures and assignments

Levels of Study

Bachelor and Master


1890 EUR tuition fee / semester
+ 75 EUR application fee

Study Fields

Business, economics, management, Chinese language, and human ecology



AUTUMN 2021*

SPRING 2022*

You may apply for semesters in the upcoming years already.

*) Dates still tentative

Program Highlights

  • Get to know one of the four Asian Tigers known for its hi-tech landscape and high standards of living
  • Dive into Mandarin Chinese and Taiwan’s unique variety of Chinese culture
  • Choose among a variety of courses in business, management, communication and human ecology
  • Meet with people from all over the world and improve your English and intercultural communication skills
  • Explore the stunning variety of free-time activities in Taipei and the wonders of Taiwanese nature
  • Experience one of the safest countries and the most open-minded societies in the world


Choose among courses in Chinese language and culture, business, economics, management and human ecology. All the courses are part of the regular degree programs of the university. Build an international network of friends, get to know the local culture firsthand and improve your intercultural communication skills.

Studying abroad at Shih Chien University is for you if…

  • You’re a university student or similar
  • You’re interested in getting to know Taiwan and the unique Taiwanese variety of Chinese culture
  • You want to learn Mandarin Chinese
  • You want to improve your intercultural communication skills
  • You want to live in one of the safest, most modern and fascinating cities in East Asia

Available courses are mostly found in the College of Management (English Taught Program in International Business), the School of Liberal Education and Chinese Language Center.

Although you can make a preliminary study plan, actual course selection takes place during the orientation day. The final course list will be announced in the beginning of each semester.

You can choose Master’s level (graduate) courses even if you’re a Bachelor (undergraduate) student and vice versa. You can choose courses worth 25 local credits at maximum. At minimum, you must complete courses worth 9 credits (Bachelor / undergraduate level students) or 6 credits (Master / graduate level students) in total. To find out more about credits, see the section Credits below.

List of courses taught in English

See the below exemplary list for courses that have been taught in English in previous semesters. You can use this list is for reference when creating your study plan. An up-to-date list of the available courses for the upcoming semester will be available 2-3 months before the semester starts. List of courses taught in English at USC

Course descriptions

The courses at Shih Chien University are worth between 2-4 Taiwanese credits. One Taiwanese credit corresponds to 2 ECTS/ ca 1 US credits. One course is therefore worth 4-8 ECTS / 2-5 US credits. The minimum number of credits to complete is 9 local credits (18 ECTS/ ca 11 US credits) for Bachelor’s level students and 6 local credits (12 ECTS/ 7 US credits) for Master’s level students. All students can earn a maximum of 25 Taiwanese credits during one semester. Read more about converting Taiwanese credits.

Tuition fee: 1890 EUR / semester
Application fee: 75 EUR.
See what’s included in the fees.

Are you from outside of Europe? Find out more about fees.

Benefits when applying via Asia Exchange

  • Confirmation even in one day and flexible application times
  • Affordability
  • Orientation and assistance from Asia experts
  • No English proficiency test required
  • 100 EUR discount when applying for two semesters.

Minimum requirements

  • A minimum age of 18 years
  • You must be currently enrolled at an institution of higher education (university, university of applied sciences or similar)

See the additional requirements.

  • A copy of your official transcript of records
  • A copy of the identification page of your passport (please note that your passport must be valid for at least six months after you enter Taiwan)
  • Electronic passport-sized color photo
  • CV (in English)

 Apply to study abroad at Shih Chien University


Get the required documents (see list below)


Fill out and submit the online application form together with the required documents

accepted within one day

You’ll get a confirmation of your study placement within one week, at best as quickly as in one day.

  • Flexible application: You can apply even if you’re not yet certain of your plans. Cancel at no extra cost up to 1 month before the semester starts.
  • When you apply for two semesters: 100 EUR discount on the second semester
  • Get access to comprehensive information materials such as an Asia Exchange Guide and an interactive orientation webinar after you apply


  • Get the other required documents in PDF format and the electronic passport photo in JPG format.
  • Fill out the online application form below and submit it with the required attachments.

Uploading and submitting the attachments

  • Please upload the attachments in PDF format (electronic passport photo in JPG format).
  • If possible, please submit all the attachments together with the application. If you’re missing some attachment(s) when you first apply, you can send the missing document(s) later. However, please note that we won’t process applications without any attachments whatsoever.
  • All attachments must be sent to us within 30 days of submitting the application or by the application deadline at the very latest.
  • You can submit all the documents electronically. Please don’t send anything via regular mail.
  • There is a late application fee for applications or attachments submitted after the application deadline.

Confirmation and official acceptance letter

You’ll get a confirmation of your study placement in 1-7 days, starting from the day your application is complete with all the required documents. You’ll receive the official acceptance letter 1.5 months before the semester starts at the latest. We’ll send it to the street address you have provided in your application. Please let us know if this address changes at any point. You need the official acceptance letter to apply for a student visa.

Student visa for Taiwan

All students need to get a student visa before departing for Taiwan at their local Taipei Representative Office, Taipei Economic and Cultural Office or Embassy of the Republic of China (Taiwan). There are two different visa types depending on whether you apply to study abroad for one or two semesters at Shih Chien University. Find out more about student visa for Taiwan.


The application fee invoice will be sent to you soon after the initial acceptance letter. This fee will be due within 10 days of receiving your confirmation. The application fee is non-refundable even if you decide to cancel (see below). You’ll receive the invoice for the tuition fee about 2.5 months before the semester starts.


If you’re unable to participate in the study abroad semester, you have the right to cancel your participation up to 1 month before the semester starts with no extra cost (the application fee will not be refunded, however). Let us know about your cancellation by writing us an email at info[at] Cancellations notified via phone, SMS or by any other means will not be considered. For more detailed information on our cancellation policy, please see terms and conditions for cancellation. We also reserve the right to cancel your participation if any of your fees becomes overdue. For more information, please see our terms and conditions.

Travel insurance

You are required to have a valid accident and health insurance either from your home country or an insurance recommended by Shih Chien University for the whole duration of the program. See our recommended travel insurance providers. You can also purchase a health and accident insurance at the university after arrival (cost max. 5000 NTD).

Shih Chien University, formerly known as Shih Chien College of Home Economics, is a private university located in the heart of Taipei, Taiwan (China). Over the years, the institution evolved from a junior college to an institution with the power to grant Bachelor’s degrees and was renamed Shih Chien College of Design and Management in 1991. In 1997, the institution was promoted to university status.


Shih Chien University Taipei Campus No.70, Dazhi St., Zhongshan Dist., Taipei City 104, Taiwan (China)

University’s website

University Accreditation

  • Accredited by the Ministry of Education, Republic of China (Taiwan)
  • Among the 60 top design schools in the world (BusinessWeek 2006)
  • Master in Industrial Design program was ranked as one of the best 30 design programs in the world (BusinessWeek 2009)
  • Ranked 18th in a list of top 100 design schools of the world by International Design Forum (iF)

The university organizes day-long excursions in Taipei and longer, two-day excursions elsewhere in Taiwan. The cost for the day trip is ca. 50 USD and the cost for the two-day trip is 240 USD. You are also free to organize your own trips. You can find tips for places to visit in Lonely Planet: Taiwan in Lonely Planet

The campus has many facilities for different kinds of sports (including a pool, a gym and sports fields), which are at your disposal with your local student card. If you’re up for picking up a new hobby, you can try Chinese opera, calligraphy, painting and martial arts.



Q: How do I select my courses for my semester? A: You will select your courses at the orientation in the beginning of the semester.

Q: What study level are the courses at Shih Chien University? A: There are both Bachelor and Master level courses available.


Q: What is the correct type of visa for studying in Taiwan? A: Depending on whether you have applied for one or two semesters, the correct visa type is either Visitor Visa or Resident Visa.

Q: When can I start my visa application? A: You can start your visa application process after receiving the official acceptance letter from the university. The letter will be sent to you at the latest one month before the start of the semester.

Q: Can I travel outside of Taiwan during the semester? A: Travelling outside of Taiwan is possible with a multiple-entry visa. If you have a single-entry visa, you should apply for a separate re-entry permit before exiting Taiwan. However, you are recommended to travel either before or after the study abroad semester. Read our general visa instructions here.


Q: Does Shih Chien University offer accommodation? A: Yes. There is an off-campus dormitory available 10-15 minutes away from campus by public transport. You can read more about the room options here.

Q: I want to find my own accommodation. Should I book accommodation in advance or after arriving in Taipei? A: As you wish. However, it is recommended to sign a lease only after arriving in Taipei and seeing the place with your own eyes first.


Q: Is Taipei a safe city? A: Yes! According to Global Peace Index, Taipei is one of the safest cities in the world with very low exposure to crime. The Taiwanese people are also considered among the most friendliest and open-minded people in Asia, and they are known for their welcoming attitude towards foreigners.

Q: Which vaccinations do I need to take? A: The Taiwanese government requires that all international students are vaccinated against measles and rubella. In general, your basic MMR and iphtheria-tetanus should be in effect. Additionally, Shih Chien University will ask for a proof (e.g. vaccination report or a chest x-ray) that you don’t suffer from tuberculosis. In addition to these, Hepatitis A and B vaccines are recommended for all travellers. For other individual recommendations, please consult your physician.

Q: Do I need to have an insurance? You are required to have a valid accident and health insurance either from your home country or an insurance recommended by Shih Chien University for the whole duration of the program. See our recommended travel insurance providers. You can also purchase a health and accident insurance at the university after arrival (cost max. 5000 NTD).


Q: What kind of costs should I be prepared for? A: In addition to tuition fees, you should be prepared to pay for the student visaflightsaccommodation and other living costs. The costs of living in Taipei are somewhat lower than in many Western cities, but the real costs will depend on your individual lifestyle. Find a list of general living costs hereRead more about budgeting your study abroad semester.


Q: I need to have my learning agreement/certificate of enrollment signed. What should I do? A: Please fill out the document and send it to

Q: When will I receive my Official Acceptance Letter? The official letter of acceptance will be delivered to you 1.5 months before the semester starts at the latest. We’ll send it to the street address you have provided in your application. Please let us know if this address changes at any point.

Q: When will I receive my Transcript of Records? A: The university prepares and sends the transcripts of records usually within 2-3 months after the end of the semester.


Q: Do I need to know any Chinese beforehand? A: It is not mandatory to know any Chinese (Mandarin) beforehand. However, knowing only a few basic words and phrases in advance will already help you a lot!

Q: Do I need a VPN in Taiwan in order to access sites like Google and Facebook, since I know that they are blocked in mainland China? A: No, you don’t. Unlike mainland China, Taiwan allows full access to all Google sites and apps as well as different social media platforms. Therefore, there is no need for a VPN in Taiwan.