Summer School in Seoul, Korea
Join an International Summer School Program in Seoul, South Korea
Spend an engaging academic summer at the no. 1 international university in Korea, located in the dynamic capital city Seoul! Take a dive into Korean language and culture and earn up to 10 ECTS in the span of one month. It’s easy to apply and your study placement can be confirmed even in one day.
Studying in Hankuk University Summer School program
In the International Summer Session you get to deepen your understanding of Korean and East Asian societies and the sources of their current trends. You’ll study side by side with both international students from many different countries as well as local students.
Who is this program for?
- You’re a university student or similar*
- You want to study abroad but don’t have time for a full semester
- You’re interested in Korea and East Asia
- You want to get to know people from all over the world at the most international university in Korea
- You want to improve your English and intercultural communication skills
The summer school is particularly well suited for students interested in Korean language and culture. Courses are also offered in the areas of performing arts, culture, economy and business, Asian politics, contemporary society and international relations. Courses such as Human Rights in North Korea, Korean Food Class and Korean Cinema Class have been popular in the past.
The program includes several interesting excursions. The tuition fee covers two (2) courses and a field trip fee.
One course corresponds to 50 hours of work and three Korean credits. Three Korean credits usually correspond to 5 ECTS / 3 US credits (read more about converting the credits here).
Find your courses
Approximately 75 % of the courses, the most popular ones, are organized every summer. The course list is updated every year and the final course offering is published around April. For the current course list, please take a look at http://summer.hufs.ac.kr/ >> Program >> Courses.
You can see the course syllabus by clicking the name of the course. Courses will be offered only if a minimum of 6 students enroll in the course.
The first two weeks of the program are very intensive and include several fascinating field trips which students have enjoyed a lot. For example, an excursion to the North Korean border has been popular. For the latest information, please take a look at http://summer.hufs.ac.kr/ >> Program >> Field trips.
The summer school at Hankuk University of Foreign Studies costs 1790 EUR (European students) or 2000 USD (non-European students). The price includes the tuition fee for two (2) courses and the field trip fee. This is more affordable than regular price of 2300 USD (approximately 2050 EUR) for the summer school. You can check the regular prices on the summer school’s website.
The application fee is 75 EUR (or 97 USD for non-Europeans).
In addition to the study place, you’ll benefit from our services and will receive an Asia Exchange Guide. The study materials are either provided free-of-charge or can be acquired very at a very affordable price.
Most international students do not need to obtain a student visa to attend the Hankuk University summer school. Most of the students are normally given a visa on arrival (a stamp on the passport) at the airport which allows them to stay in Korea for 3 months.
Read about the the full visa application procedure.
The university provides plenty of dormitory options for students. There are currently 3 different dormitories for you to choose, and they all are located within 2–3 minute walk from the campus. You can choose your preferred accommodation option in the application form for Hankuk University of Foreign Studies Find out more about the accommodation options in Seoul.
- A minimum age of 18 years
- You should preferably have completed at least one semester at an institution of higher education. Students with an associate degree are also eligible. If you have only a secondary degree and wish to participate in the HUFS summer session, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You should have sufficient English skills (B2 level). No language test is required.
See the additional requirements
- An official transcript of records in English (a stamp is not required)
- A copy of the identification page of your passport (please note that your passport must be valid for at least six months after your trip starts)
- A color photo. The photo is for your student ID card and your face should be clearly visible. The background should be white. The picture should preferably be in JPEG-format.
Apply to study abroad at Hankuk University Summer School Program
Fill out and submit the online application form together with the required documents
- Flexible application: You can apply even if you’re not yet certain of your plans. Cancel at no extra cost up to 1 month before the semester starts.
- When you apply for two semesters: 100 EUR discount on the second semester
- Get access to comprehensive information materials such as an Asia Exchange Guide and an interactive orientation webinar after you apply
- Scan all the required attachments to your computer in PDF format.
- Fill out the online application form below and submit it with the required attachments.
Uploading and submitting the documents
- Please upload the documents in PDF format.
- If possible, please submit all the attachments together with the application. If you’re missing some attachment(s) when you first apply, you can send the missing document(s) later. However, please note that we won’t process applications without any attachments whatsoever.
- All attachments must be sent to us within 30 days of submitting the application or by the application deadline at the very latest.
- You can submit all the documents electronically. Please don’t send anything via regular mail.
- There is a late application fee for applications or attachments submitted after the application deadline.
Confirmation, official acceptance letter and visa
You’ll get a confirmation of your study placement in 1-7 days, starting from the day your application is complete with all the required documents. You’ll receive the official acceptance letter 1.5 months before the semester starts at the latest. We’ll send it to the street address you have provided in your application. Please let us know if this address changes at any point. You need the official acceptance letter to apply for a student visa.
The application fee invoice will be sent to you soon after the initial acceptance letter. This fee will be due within 10 days of receiving your confirmation. The application fee is non-refundable even if you decide to cancel (see below). You’ll receive the invoice for the tuition fee about 2.5 months before the semester starts.
If you’re unable to participate in the study abroad semester, you have the right to cancel your participation up to 1 month before the semester starts with no extra cost (the application fee will not be refunded, however). Let us know about your cancellation by writing us an email at info[at]asiaexchange.org. Cancellations notified via phone, SMS or by any other means will not be considered. For more detailed information on our cancellation policy, please see terms and conditions for cancellation. We also reserve the right to cancel your participation if any of your fees becomes overdue. For more information, please see our terms and conditions.
You are required to have a valid accident and health insurance either from your home country or an insurance recommended by HUFS for the whole duration of the program. The university may request a copy of the insurance certificate in the beginning of the semester. See our recommended travel insurance providers.
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (HUFS) is known for its high-quality curriculum in international studies, globalization and as many as 40+ foreign languages. It has been rated as the number 1 international university in Korea and has the highest ratio of international students in the country. Many diplomats have graduated from the university.
University’s contact information:
Office of International Student Services
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies
107 Imun-ro, Dongdaemun-gu, Seoul
South Korea, 130-791
University’s contact person:
Ms. Yoonmee Lee
The Korean Council for University Education
The Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology of the Republic of Korea
International Association of Universities (IAU)
University Institutional Accreditation Member of The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
HUFS ranked first in Korea (7th in Asia) among universities with no medical school
Ratio of exchange students from foreign countries – 1st in Korea*
Proportion of lectures taught in English: 30% – 1st in Korea*
Proportion of foreign faculty [full-time lecturer and higher level] – 2nd in Korea ¤
*2013 Chosun Ilbo.QS Asian University Rankings
¤2012 Joongang Daily University Ranking Evaluation