Study Abroad at Hankuk University of Foreign Studies for 1 or 2 Semesters

Hankuk University of Foreign Studies is the no. 1 international university in Korea’s stunning capital city, Seoul. Study economics, engineering, languages, and much more while studying abroad at HUFS and benefit from the high academic standards of the Korean higher education system. Apply today and get accepted as quickly as in a day!



Spring (Mar – June)
Autumn (Sep – Dec)

Max. Credits

30 ECTS /
18 US credits

Program Content

Lectures, assignments and various other teaching methods depending on courses

Levels of Study

Bachelor and Master


(3500 EUR) tuition fee / semester+ application fee

Study Fields

Business, economics, engineering, history, international relations and politics, languages, law, natural sciences, philosophy, social sciences and much more


Hankuk University

Rank #8 best university in Korea


In QS world
university ranking
for modern


best student
city worldwide
by QS ranking

#1 in internationalization ranking in Korea



SPRING 2025*

AUTUMN 2025*

SPRING 2026*

You may apply for semesters in the upcoming years already.

*) Dates still tentative 


  • Study at the best international university in Korea

  • Choose among courses from dozens of different fields, including business, education, engineering, international relations, law and 40+ languages

  • Get familiar with the Korean tiger economy, home to technology giants like LG and Samsung

  • Take in the international atmosphere on campus, meet with people from all over the world and improve your English skills

  • Explore the “24-hour city” Seoul, also rated one of the top 10 student cities in the world


Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (HUFS) is known for its high-quality curriculum in international studies, globalization and as many as 40+ foreign languages. Apply to study abroad for one or two semesters at any of the two campuses (Seoul Campus and Global Campus) and choose among many courses from several different fields.

Studying abroad at HUFS is for you if…

  • You’re a university student or similar
  • You’re aiming for an international career, whether in business or diplomacy
  • You want to get to know people from all over the world at the most international university in Korea
  • You want to improve your English and intercultural communication skills
  • You want to live in one of the most modern and developed cities in East Asia

member of aacsb

Explore virtually – interactive destination tour


Q: How do I select my courses?
A: Course registration dates will be sent to you by email. Course registration happens through HUFS’ own portal.

Q: What study level are the courses at Hankuk University of Foreign Studies?
A: Bachelor -and Master-level courses. Bachelor-level courses are more widely available.

Q: When do the exams take place?
A: Exams will be organized during the last few weeks of the semester. All courses and exams will be finished by the announced semester ending date.

Q: What type of visa do I need to have to study in South Korea?
A: You will need a D2 student visa to study in South Korea. For Summer School students, a visa may not be needed due to the length of the program. Please contact your local embassy for more details.

Q: When can I apply for my visa?
A: You can start your visa application process after receiving the official acceptance letter from the university. The letter will be sent to you at the latest one month before the start of the semesterRead our general visa instructions here.

All international students residing outside Korea will need to apply for a student visa at the embassy or consulate of the Republic of Korea. You must apply for the visa in person at your home country’s Korean embassy. Read about the visa application procedure here.

Q: Is there on-campus accommodation available at Hankuk University of Foreign Studies?
A: Yes. In addition to the on-campus dormitories, students can also stay in off-campus dormitories located just a minute’s walk away from campus. You can read more about the dormitories and room options here.

Q: When do I know if I will receive a dormitory room?
A: Hankuk University of Foreign Studies will inform students of their dormitory assignments before the semester starts

Q: When can I move into the dormitory, and how long can I stay there?
A: Check-in and check-out dates will be confirmed separately for each semester. Normally, you can check in 2 days before the start of the semester, and students can stay in the dorm for the duration of the semester. The dormitory payment is paid directly to HUFS.

people walking around hankuk university

The university provides on-campus accommodation at the Global Campus. The rooms in the dormitory area are double rooms with air-conditioning and free internet access. Find out more about the accommodation options and prices on the Global campus.

Q: Do I need to take into account any healthcare-related matters?
A: In addition to the basic vaccinations (MMR and diphtheria-tetanus), travelers are most often advised to get vaccinated against Hepatitis A and B. Vaccinations always depend partly on the individual, so remember to consult your physician.

All new dorm residents are required to take a medical examination at the HUFS Health Care Center or submit proof of an authorized health examination report at the time of exchange program application following the Korean Immigration Service and HUFS dormitory regulation requirements. Tuberculosis (TB) is the only test on the health examination form mandatory for all students (skin test or chest X-ray).

Q: Do I need insurance?
A: You are required to have a valid accident and health insurance for the whole duration of the study abroad program. The university may request a copy of the insurance certificate at the beginning of the semester. Additional information and recommended insurance packages.

A: NHIS (National Health Insurance)

We were notified that all incoming exchange students staying in Korea need to acquire National Health Insurance when in Korea due to altered government policies. As this is normally an expensive option, Hankuk University recommends you to check whether your insurance provider in your home country has insurance plans equivalent to the National Health Insurance in Korea in order to substitute the NHI for insurance from your home country.

If you are going to be staying in Korea for one to six months, you can apply for an exemption to NHIC insurance if you have private insurance purchased to cover your exchange period PRIOR to entering Korea.

If you are going to be staying in Korea for 6-12 months, you will need to subscribe to Korea’s National Health Insurance.

Please be advised that even if you submit an application for exemption to the NHIC, it may not be approved! You should budget money for having to pay the NHIC premium as a part of your exchange costs just in case!

Please see here for further information from Hankuk University about National Health Insurance.

Q: What kind of costs should I be prepared for?
A: In addition to tuition fees, you should be prepared to pay for the student visaflightsaccommodation and other living costs.
The cost of living in Seoul is comparable to most European countries. However, like everywhere, the cost of living highly depends on your anticipated lifestyle. Usually, our students consider Seoul as well affordable.

If you try to keep your costs as low as possible and avoid excessive spending, then the cost of living can be as low as 800,000 KRW per month.

However, most of our students spend around 1,000,000 – 1,200,000 KRW per month.

Luckily there are many options to help lower your costs while living in South Korea – goshiwons and public transport are great examples.

Q: I need to have my learning agreement/certificate of enrollment signed. What should I do?
A: Please fill out the document and send it to info@asiaexchange.org.

Q: When will I receive my Official Acceptance Letter?
The official letter of acceptance will be delivered to you 1.5 months before the semester starts at the latest. We’ll send it to the street address you have provided in your application. Please let us know if this address changes at any point.

Q: When will I receive my Transcript of Records?
A: The university prepares and sends the transcripts of records, usually within 2-3 months after the end of the semester.

Q: Do I need to know any Korean beforehand?
A: It is not mandatory to know any Korean beforehand. However, knowing only a few basic words and phrases in advance will already help you a lot! HUFS also offers Korean language courses at different levels through their Korean Language Center.

Not the destination you were looking for?

Ask former students