INTERNATIONAL STUDY PROGRAM PHUKET
Study Abroad at Prince of Songkla University in Phuket for 1 or 2 Semesters
Study tourism and economics at Prince of Songkla University (PSU), which is one of Thailand’s top 5 universities. You will study in an international study program that receives excellent student feedback year after year. Live on a paradise island that is much more than just beautiful beaches and learn more about Asian people, cultures, habits and traditions. It’s easy to apply and your study placement can be confirmed as quickly as in one day.
SPRING 2021 (Semester 2)
AUTUMN 2021 (Semester 1)*
Spring 2022 (Semester 2)*
*) Dates still tentative
- Get to know Thailand and Asia while living on the famous paradise island of Phuket
- Combine an engaging academic program with exotic free time activities and unforgettable experiences
- Improve your English and pick up the basics of Thai language
- Meet people from all around the world, improve your intercultural communication skills and build an international network
- Enjoy the amazing hospitality of one of the best universities in Thailand
- Volunteer at a children’s home supported by Asia Exchange
STUDYING IN PHUKET INTERNATIONAL STUDY PROGRAM
Prince of Songkla University’s international study abroad program covers topics ranging from business, economics and administration to culture, tourism and languages. The program receives excellent student feedback year by year, both for the quality of courses and the many kinds of free-time activities offered by the university. The program is ideal especially for anyone living abroad for the first time.
Who is this program for?
- You want to combine engaging academic studies with living on a paradise island
- You want to improve your English and intercultural communication skills
- You want to get to know people from all over the world
- You want to explore Thailand and South-East Asia
Have you just graduated from high school or are between degrees? See our gap year program in Phuket.
Choosing the courses
The university contacts students approximately one month before the semester begins and asks about students’ preliminary course selections. It is possible to make adjustments to the course selections at the beginning of the semester.
Find more information about the available courses by clicking on the links below.
Course catalog and course descriptions
In the course documents, you can find a six-digit course code (e.g. 817-404). The third last digit of the subject code refers to the level of the course: 1st year, 2nd year, 3rd year and 4th year.
All of the courses have 80 % attendance policy. This includes any e.g. excursions that are part of the course. Failing to adhere to the attendance requirements could lead to the cancellation of your student visa.
Students can choose up to 6 courses per semester. Most exchange students choose 4 – 5 courses. The minimum number of courses that should be taken is 4. One completed course at PSU is worth 4 credits which most often translates into 5 – 6 ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) credits or 3 – 4 US credits. It’s possible to gain up to 35 ECTS points per semester depending on the course selections you make. Find out more under study credits.
Tuition fee: 1990 EUR / semester
Application fee: 75 EUR.
See what’s included in the fees.
Are you from outside of Europe? Find out more about fees.
Benefits when applying via Asia Exchange
- Confirmation even in one day
- Asia Exchange Guide with lots of information about studies, visas, accommodation and other tips
- Orientation days
- No English proficiency test required
- 100 EUR discount when you apply for two semesters.
Minimum requirements for participation
- A minimum age of 18 years
- A high school diploma or similar certificate. You are not required to be enrolled at an institution of higher education
- Sufficient English skills (B2 level). No language test is required, however.
See the additional requirements.
- An official transcript of records (stamped by your home institution), or if you are not currently enrolled at an institution of higher education, a copy of your high school diploma (or similar document).
- A copy of the identification page of your passport. The passport must be valid for a minimum of six months after arriving in Thailand. A passport with validity of 18 months has sometimes been required when applying for a one-year Multiple Entry Visa. Please note this also when sending Asia Exchange your application for the study abroad program.
Apply to study at Prince of Songkla University
Fill out and submit the online application form together with the required documents
- Flexible application: You can apply even if you’re not yet certain of your plans. Cancel at no extra cost up to 1 month before the semester starts.
- When you apply for two semesters: 100 EUR discount on the second semester
- Get access to comprehensive information materials such as an Asia Exchange Guide and an interactive orientation webinar after you apply
- Scan all the required attachments to your computer in PDF format
- Fill out the online application form below and submit it with the required attachments.
Uploading and submitting the attachments
- Please upload the attachments in PDF format.
- If possible, please submit all the attachments together with the application. If you’re missing some attachment(s) when you first apply, you can send the missing document(s) later. However, please note that we won’t process applications without any attachments whatsoever.
- All attachments must be sent to us within 30 days of submitting the application or by the application deadline at the very latest.
- You can submit all the documents electronically. Please don’t send anything via regular mail.
- There is a late application fee for applications or attachments submitted after the application deadline.
Confirmation, official acceptance letter and visa
You’ll get a confirmation of your study placement in 1-7 days, starting from the day your application is complete with all the required documents. You’ll receive the official acceptance letter 1.5 months before the semester starts at the latest. We’ll send it to the street address you have provided in your application. Please let us know if this address changes at any point. You need the official acceptance letter to apply for a student visa.
The application fee invoice will be sent to you soon after the initial acceptance letter. This fee will be due within 10 days of receiving your confirmation. The application fee is non-refundable even if you decide to cancel (see below). You’ll receive the invoice for the tuition fee normally about 2.5 months before the semester starts.
If you’re unable to participate in the study abroad semester, you have the right to cancel your participation up to 1 month before the semester starts with no extra cost (the application fee will not be refunded, however). Let us know about your cancellation by writing us an email at info[at]asiaexchange.org. Cancellations notified via phone, SMS or by any other means will not be considered. For more detailed information on our cancellation policy, please see terms and conditions for cancellation. We also reserve the right to cancel your participation if any of your fees becomes overdue. For more information, please see our terms and conditions.
You are required to have a valid accident and health insurance from your home country for the whole duration of the program. The university may request a copy of the insurance certificate in the beginning of the semester. See our recommended travel insurance providers.
Prince of Songkla University (PSU) in Phuket is a public, research-driven university that was founded in 1967. It was the first university in Southern Thailand, harnessed to raise the general education standards in the region and to support regional industry and development. Today, PSU is a modern and highly international university that takes pride in its origins as a patron of the local culture, education and environment.
Prince of Songkla University, Phuket Campus Faculty of Service Industries 80 Moo 1, Vichit Songkram Rd., Kathu Phuket 83120 Thailand
Contact person at Prince of Songkla University
Dr. Pornpisanu Promsivapallop
- Ministry of Education in Thailand
- International Association of Universities (IAU)
- One of the top 5 universities in Thailand
- Association of Southeast Asian Institutions of Higher Learning (ASAIHL)
- ASEAN University Network (AUN)
- ASEAN-European University Network (ASEA UNINET)
- Member of The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
Phuket is a good destination for anyone living abroad for the first time. The host university takes great care of its international students and organizes many extracurricular activities, such as home stays, Thai cooking classes, clean the beach boot camps, a night at Surf House, and so on. Taking part in the extracurricular activities is a great way to discover the island while getting to know other students. View the following PDF for descriptions of activities that have been organized during the previous semester. Please note that there are no guarantees that every type of activity will be organized each semester:
Extracurricular activities in Phuket
PSU’s campus has excellent sports facilities. The recently renovated sports complex has an Olympic-size swimming pool and a football stadium. You can practice yoga, tai-chi, muay thai, table tennis, tennis, badminton, basketball, volleyball and futsal. Numerous classes, tournaments and cups are organized every year. Sports facilities are open from early morning to late evening and rates are very affordable. For example, reserving a tennis court for one hour costs 60 THB (1,50 EUR) and an entrance to the swimming pool costs you only 20 THB (0,50 EUR).
Your fees support our charity work
As a part of our charity efforts, we donate a part of tuition fees to Asia Center Foundation, a local organization supporting children’s education and living standards. Students have the chance to familiarize themselves with the organization’s activities during the semester and do volunteer work themselves. Read more about Asia Exchange’s charity work.
Q: Should I choose my courses before the semester starts? A: Yes. The university will contact you and ask you to make your initial course selections before the semester starts.
Q: Are there mandatory courses? A: No.
Q: What is the required minimum attendance? A: You must attend a minimum of 80 % of lectures.
Q: Do I need to participate in the orientation days? A: Yes, the orientation days are mandatory and you get plenty of useful information.
Q: Will I wear a school uniform? A: Yes. The upper part is a white-collar shirt. Women wear a black skirt and men wear black trousers. Students have told us that they got used to wearing it quickly, and that it’s very practical – you’re spared the trouble of choosing suitable clothes in the morning!
Q: What is the correct type of visa for studying in Thailand? A: It’s called “Non-immigrant visa ED”.
Q: When can I apply for my visa? A: After you have received your official acceptance letter. That happens at the latest one month before the semester starts, but it can be even earlier. The visa process often takes only 4-5 working days. Read our general visa instructions here.
Q: How can I find suitable accommodation options? A: Read our accommodation tips for Phuket here. We will also send you our Asia Exchange Guide with additional tips.
Q: Should I book accommodation in advance or after arriving in Phuket? A: It is completely up to you. Most students prefer checking the long-term accommodation options in person after arrival.
Q: Do I need an International Driver’s License for driving a scooter in Phuket? A: Yes, or alternatively you can get a local driver’s license. However, acquiring an International Driver’s License in advance is recommended.
Q: Which vaccinations do I need to take? A: In addition to the basic vaccinations (MMR and diphtheria-tetanus), travelers are most often advised to get vaccinated against Hepatitis A and B. Vaccinations always depend partly on the individual, so remember to consult your physician.
Q: Do I need an insurance? A: All students are required to have valid travel insurance for the duration of the semester. See our recommended travel insurance providers here.
Q: What kind of costs should I be prepared for? A: In addition to tuition fees, you should be prepared to pay for the student visa, flights, accommodation and other living costs. The cost of living is relatively low in Phuket. The real costs depend on your individual lifestyle. Find a list of general living costs here. Read more about budgeting your study abroad semester.
Q: I need to have my learning agreement/certificate of enrollment signed. What should I do? A: Please fill the document and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: When will I receive my Official Acceptance Letter? 1 month before the semester starts at the latest. We’ll send it to the street address you have provided in your application. Please let us know if this address changes at any point.
Q: When will I receive my Transcript of Records? A: The university prepares and sends the Transcripts of Records usually within 2-3 months after the end of the semester