Study Abroad in Kuala Lumpur at Universiti Putra Malaysia for 1 or 2 Semesters

Study economics, engineering, information technology, nursing and much more for a semester or two at one of the best universities in Malaysia – Universiti Putra Malaysia. Live in the heart of the bustling capital city of Malaysia and learn more about the world and yourself. It’s easy to apply and your study placement will be confirmed even in one day.



Spring (Feb – June)
Autumn (Sep – Jan)

Max. Credits

ca. 30 ECTS /
18 US credits

Program Content


Levels of Study

Bachelor and Master


tuition fee / semester + application fee

Study Fields

Food science, biotechnology, computer science, architecture, economics and management, engineering, environmental studies, nursing and many more


Universiti Putra Malaysia

#10 best universities worldwide under 50 years old


In QS world

ranked #1

in Malaysia

Accredited by AACSB



SPRING 2025*

AUTUMN 2025*

SPRING 2026*

You may apply for semesters in the upcoming years already.

*) Small changes possible

Program Highlights

  • Take your knowledge to the next level and choose among high-quality courses from 18+ fields

  • Boost your career prospects by studying abroad in one of Asia’s most important business and education hubs

  • Improve your English skills in a country where it’s widely spoken

  • Enjoy the cultural diversity in the multicultural melting pot of Kuala Lumpur

  • Meet new people from all over the world and build an international network



Universiti Putra Malaysia is the right choice for those who want to challenge themselves academically at a top-class research university. The courses reflect the international standards of the Oxbridge (Oxford and Cambridge) model of teaching and are part of the regular degree curricula of the university.

Studying at Universiti Putra Malaysia is for you if…

  • You’re a university student looking for new challenges
  • You want to be able to choose among hundreds of courses to expand your knowledge
  • You want to improve your English and intercultural communication skills
  • You want to get to know life and culture in one of the most important cities in South East Asia
  • You want to network with people from all over the world.

member of aacsb

Explore virtually – interactive destination tour


Q: How do I select my courses? A: You should select the courses in the UPM application form that you submit as one of the attachments with your application. You can still change your course selections during the registration period at the beginning of your semester.

Q: Can I choose courses from several different faculties? A: Yes! While you’re advised to choose the faculty that best matches your current major, you’re still able to choose courses from several faculties if you wish.

Q: What study level are the courses at Universiti Putra Malaysia? A: The courses with the digits 3xxx and 4xxx are Bachelor level courses, but 4xxx courses can also be accredited as Master’s level courses.

Q: Are the courses organized in English? A: Yes! The official teaching language is English, and you attend the same courses as other international and local students.

Q: Do I need to have an English language certificate? A: You do not need an English language certificate either for your application or the student visa.

Q: What is the required course attendance? A: The official course attendance requirement is 80 %.

Q: When do the exams take place? A: Exams are included in the semester dates and they take place in the middle and at the end of the semester.

Q: What type of visa do I need to have to study in Malaysia? A: You will have to apply first for an eVAL, then for a Single-Entry Visa and finally start the process for your Student Pass as the last step of your registration period at the beginning of the semester.

Q: When can I apply for my visa? A: You can apply for your eVAL as soon as you receive the Official Offer Letter from Universiti Putra Malaysia. You will usually receive this approximately 3 months before the semester starts.

Q: Can I travel outside of Malaysia during the semester? A: Yes, but only after your Student Pass has been processed. The process usually takes 2-4 weeks, so we don’t recommend planning any trips outside Malaysia before your mid-term holiday. Read our general visa instructions here.

Q: Is there on-campus accommodation available at Universiti Putra Malaysia? A: Yes, but the rooms are very modest and not necessarily up to Western standards.

Q: Where and how can I find suitable accommodation options independently? A: Most students prefer staying in the Seri Kembangan area, a 10-15 min Grab drive from the campus. For example, BluConstellation and Dreamcity are suitable options. You can contact the accommodation agents in the student FB group, for which you’ll receive the link before the semester. Read our accommodation tips here.

Q: How can I get to the campus? A: Download the Grab taxi application to your phone. It’s the safest, cheapest and easiest way to travel in Kuala Lumpur.

Q: Do I need insurance? A: Yes, insurance is a requirement for the student visa. You can either purchase one through EMGS during the eVAL application or purchase any similar insurance independently. See our recommended travel insurance providers. Please note that you must bring your insurance certificate in English for the Student Pass processing.

Q: Which extra fees do I have to pay on top of the tuition fee? A: On top of the tuition fee, we charge an application fee of 75 EUR. Some additional fees become payable upon arriving in Malaysia, such as Mobility fees and Student Pass processing fees. Please note that these fees are subject to change. When calculating your budget, please also take into account flightsaccommodation and other costs of living.

Q: What are the costs of living in Malaysia? Kuala Lumpur has been voted the most affordable city in the world for a student. The real costs will depend on your lifestyle. Find a list of general living costs here. Read more about budgeting your study abroad semester.

Q: I need to have my learning agreement/certificate of enrollment signed. What should I do? A: Please fill the document and send it to info@asiaexchange.org.

Q: When will I receive my Official Acceptance Letter? The official letter of acceptance (Offer Letter) will be sent to you by email 2–3 months before the semester starts. You will need this for your eVAL application. You cannot apply for eVAL with the initial acceptance letter from Asia Exchange.

Q: When will I receive my Transcript of Records? The university prepares and sends the Academic Records, usually within 1-2 months after the end of the semester. Still, you can already see your grades in the online student portal before that. The university will inform you when the grades are online.

Not the destination you were looking for?

Ask former students