Foreign Trade University
Study Abroad in Ho Chi Minh City at Foreign Trade University for 1 or 2 Semesters
Live and study for one or two semesters in one of the world’s most rapidly growing metropolitan areas. Be among the first international students to ever study with Vietnam’s brightest minds. Studying at Foreign Trade University will give you the unique opportunity to experience Vietnam’s emerging business hub and its welcoming atmosphere firsthand. Develop your skills and understanding in International Business Management, Finance, Business Economics, Banking and Logistics at one of Vietnam’s most elite universities. Together with your study buddies you will have the chance to familiarize yourself with Ho Chi Minh City and get to know the historical Saigon. It’s easy to apply and your study placement will be confirmed as quick as in one day! Applicants will get a limited 100 EUR discount from the tuition fee due to the novelty of the program.
*) dates still tentative
Studying in Foreign Trade University
Foreign Trade University (FTU) is one of the most prestigious universities in Vietnam and currently the most interesting study abroad destination in Ho Chi Minh City. All courses in the interdisciplinary program are taught in English. Through lectures and interactive workshops and excursions, the program gives you a strong understanding of International Business Management, Finance, Business Economics, Banking and Logistics.
Studying at Foreign Trade University is for you if…
- You’re a university student or have recently finished high school
- You want to study in one of the most prestigious universities in Vietnam
- You want the application process to be easy and all your questions answered quickly
- You want to make new international friends and build a career-benefiting multicultural network
- You want to enjoy a welcoming atmosphere and great student support throughout the semester
Bachelor’s level courses
All the courses are included in the official curriculum of the university and are held in English.
How to choose the courses
When you submit your application to us please choose the courses that best matches your major studies. You can choose 2-5 courses per semester. The final course selection takes place during the orientation week, one week before the official start of the semester. Please note that FTU reserves rights to changes in the course offering. You also have the opportunity to study Vietnamese. Please indicate your interest in studying Vietnamese during the application process.
There is a 80 % obligatory attendance. Failure to adhere to this requirement may lead to failing the course. Please note that the activities and excursions organized by your faculty or the international office are mandatory and may take place on weekends.
Asia Exchange students can take up to 5 (recommended) to 6 (maximum) courses per semester (max. a total of ~30 ECTS/18 US Credits) when studying in Ho Chi Minh City. One completed course is worth 3 credits, which is most often converted to 5 ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) study credits or 3 US credit points.
Tuition fee: 1890 EUR / semester
Application fee: 75 EUR.
See what’s included in the fees.
Are you from outside of Europe? Find out more about fees.
There might be additional fees upon arrival in Vietnam, such as for visa application and registration.
Benefits when applying via Asia Exchange
- Confirmation even in one day
- Asia Exchange Guide with lots of information about studies, visas, accommodation and other tips
- Orientation days
- No English proficiency test required
- 100 EUR discount when applying for the Autumn Semester 2020, due to the novelty of the program
- 100 EUR discount when applying for two semesters.
- A minimum age of 18 years (you must be 18 years old at the time of your application)
- You do not have to be currently enrolled at an institution of higher education but you should have at least a high-school diploma.
- Sufficient English skills (B2 level). You’re not required to take an official language test, however.
- An official transcript of records of all your semesters in English or a High School Certificate or similar certificate. Please note that the transcript of records must be stamped by your home institution.
- A copy of the identification page of your passport. Please note that your passport must be valid for at least 6 months after the end of the semester that you are applying for. If your passport expires earlier, please apply for a new one and submit it before the application deadline. Applications sent without a valid passport cannot be processed.
- Copy of a recent passport-sized photo. This photo is for your student card. Your face should be clearly visible. The background should preferably be white.
- An English certificate is not needed.
The original documents must be presented to the host university upon arrival, so please keep them with yourself. Have two recent passport photos handy upon arrival at FTU.
APPLY to study abroad at Foreign Trade University
Get the required documents (see list below)
Fill out and submit the online application form together with the required documents
You’ll get a confirmation of your study placement within one week, at best as quickly as in one day.
- Flexible application: You can apply even if you’re not yet certain of your plans. Cancel at no extra cost up to 1 month before the semester starts.
- When you apply for two semesters: 100 EUR discount on the second semester
- Get access to comprehensive information materials such as an Asia Exchange Guide and an interactive orientation webinar after you apply
Uploading and submitting the attachments
- Scan all the required attachments to your computer in PDF format
- Fill out the online application form below and submit it with the required attachments.
Uploading and submitting the attachments
- Please upload the attachments in PDF format.
- If possible, please submit all the attachments together with the application. If you’re missing some attachment(s) when you first apply, you can send the missing document(s) later. However, please note that we won’t process applications without any attachments whatsoever.
- All attachments must be sent to us within 30 days of submitting the application or by the application deadline at the very latest.
- You can submit all the documents electronically. Please don’t send anything via regular mail.
- There is a late application fee for applications or attachments submitted after the application deadline.
Confirmation and official acceptance letter
You’ll get a confirmation of your study placement in 1-7 days. You’ll receive the official acceptance letter about 2–3 months before the semester starts. We’ll send it to the street address you have provided in your application. Please let us know if this address changes at any point
The application fee invoice will be sent to you soon after the initial acceptance letter. This fee will be due within 10 days of receiving your confirmation. The application fee is non-refundable even if you decide to cancel (see below). You’ll receive the invoice for the tuition fee about 2.5 months before the semester starts. The application fee for the Vietnamese Student Visa will range from 20 EUR to 75 EUR, depending on how quickly you need your visa. Find out more about the student visa below. There might be some minor fees attached to the university’s services at the destination. These might include registration fee, library fee, health fee and transportation fee. You may also need to purchase some academic material like books. All the above fees are subject to change.
If you’re unable to participate in the study abroad semester, you have the right to cancel your participation up to 1 month before the semester starts with no extra cost (the application fee will not be refunded, however). Let us know about your cancellation by writing us an email at info[at]asiaexchange.org. Cancellations notified via phone, SMS or by any other means will not be considered. For more detailed information on our cancellation policy, please see terms and conditions for cancellation. We also reserve the right to cancel your participation if your application fee or tuition fee become overdue. For more information, please see our terms and conditions.
Located in Ho Chi Minh city, the largest city in Vietnam, Foreign Trade University (FTU) was established in 1960. Previously, FTU was a single-discipline university and only has one specialty program, the Import-Export Business. But because they believe in innovate to develop, the university now has a wide range of majors and specialization to offer to both local and foreign students. They have programs in economics, business, business administration, finance and banking, and foreign languages.
Foreign Trade University (FTU) 15D5, Ward 25, Binh Thanh District, 084 Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
Q: How do I select my courses? A: You should select the courses required by your home institution. If you do not have a specific study plan, we suggest taking courses that are most appealing and interesting to you.
Q: What study level are the courses at Foreign Trade University? A: All offered courses are Bachelor level courses.
Q: Are the courses organized in English? A: Yes! The courses are taught in English and you attend the same courses as other international and local students
Q: Do I need to have an English language certificate? A: You do not need an English language certificate either for your application or the student visa
Q: What is the required course attendance? A: The official course attendance requirement is 80 %.
Q: When do the exams take place? A: Exams are included in the semester dates and they take place at the end of the semester.
Q: Is there on-campus accommodation available at Foreign Trade University? A: No, FTU does not have student dorm. But there are hotels/hostels near the campus that FTU has recommended.
Q: Do I need an insurance? A: Yes, an insurance is a requirement for the student visa. You can find a suitable insurance independently. See our recommended travel insurance providers.
Q: Which extra fees do I have to pay on top of the tuition fee? A: On top of the tuition fee, we charge an application fee of 75 EUR. There are also some additional fees which become payable upon arriving in Vietnam, such as Visa application process fee and possibly registration, orientation, co-curricular and service fees. Please note that these fees are subject to change. When calculating your budget, please also take into account flights, accommodation and other costs of living.
Q: What are the costs of living in Vietnam? The costs of living in Ho Chi Minh City and Vietnam are relatively low. The real costs will depend on your lifestyle. Read more about budgeting your study abroad semester.
Q: I need to have my learning agreement/certificate of enrollment signed. What should I do? A: Please fill the document and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: When will I receive my Official Acceptance Letter? The electronic official letter of acceptance (called Offer Letter) will be sent to you by email 2–3 months before the semester starts.
Q: When will I receive my Transcript of Records? The university prepares and sends the Academic Records usually within 2-3 months after the end of the semester.