South Korea – Visa

Please note that the visa application process and the list of the required documents may change at any time.

Make sure to get the latest information on the visa regulations directly from the Korean embassy in your home country. Getting a visa to a foreign country should never be taken for granted and cannot be guaranteed by Asia Exchange in any way. Please also refer to our terms and conditions.

Student visa for South Korea

All international students residing outside Korea will need to apply for a student visa at the embassy or consulate of the Republic of Korea in their home country.

Apply for your student visa immediately after receiving your official acceptance letter from Korea. If you don’t have a student visa by the start of the semester, you can be fined.

You will also apply for an Alien Residence Card once in Korea. The card works as an identification card and enables you to make trips abroad during your semester in Korea. The host university will help you get the Card after you’ve arrived.

Please note that according to the official guidance of Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, you have to leave Korea within 1 week of the semester’s ending date, otherwise you’ll be heavily fined by the Korean Immigration.

You will receive more information about the student visa after the application period for your study semester has ended.


  • Information for summer school students

    Most international students do not need to obtain a student visa to attend the Hankuk University summer school. Most of the students are normally given a visa on arrival (a stamp on the passport) at the airport, which allows them to stay in Korea for 3 months.

    However, it is the responsibility of the student to use their official acceptance letter to apply for the correct visa if needed. Prospective students should inquire with the closest Korean consular office about whether a visa is required for a 5-week stay in Korea for citizens of their country.

    If you are from a country requiring a visa to enter Korea, you may apply for a Temporary Visiting Visa C3 for up to 3 months. It is a short-term visa for purposes such as studying and visiting the country.

    Students who plan to stay longer than 90 days need to apply for Residence Permission at the Seoul Immigration Office within 90 days of their arrival in Korea.

  • Information for language school students

    You will need a D-4-1 language training visa to study in this program. This visa type is available for anyone joining a language program. You do not need to be enrolled in a university to apply for this visa. Please get in touch with your local embassy for more details.

Spend a semester abroad in Seoul!

Study abroad at Hankuk University of Foreign Studies

Learn more


Read more about the student experiences from Shanghai

Read more…


Read more about how to apply to our Partner Universities

Read more…